Monday, February 23, 2009

What you expect isn't always what you get...

Yesterday, I was looking forward to a sermon on the Transfiguration. Fr. Stan usually preaches on the gospel, but somehow he chose another, totally different scripture to use for his sermon. They are always good, but I feel cheated, somehow. I needed to hear about the tranfiguration.

Tomorrow night the vestry is cooking the pancake Shrove Tuesday supper for us, and Wednesday will be busy. We have lots of studies of various sorts going on over Lent.

Lent is an interesting concept. When I was a child, we were expected to give up something that we really, really liked for the duration of Lent. It was usually some sort of candy, and we all made a great noise about our great sacrifice. Nobody ever taught us that it was not to talk about or share with anyone, but was between ourselves and God. Nowadays, I find it better to add a spiritual discipline rather than giving up something trivial. So, that's what I expect I will do. It will be a secret between God and me.

The regionals for Saxon's science fair exhibit is tomorrow. I pray it will go well for him and that he will be able to use his language skills well to get his concepts across to the judges. He is very dear to me.

More on seminary later as things develop. Our church is definitely in flux right now - if things go according to plan, we will have established an Anglican church in North America, with which we may affiliate, and probably will. This would remove us from the oversight of the Diocese of Uganda. Many changes coming. I will pray for good ones.

No comments: