Saturday, March 7, 2009

The times they are a-changin'................

As an avid science fiction aficionado since I first found sci-fi some 60 years ago, now I have seen the first interstellar spacecraft off and out of our solar system - trying to find other worlds for humans to inhabit. I am awed that what I have always read about and imagined is in process. I hope I live long enough to see what they find and how humans handle that knowledge.

Our poor daily newspaper is in mucho trouble. Some months ago they outsourced their printing to Abilene. That was apparently just the beginning. The employees have lived with recent salary cuts (same as other folks) and today the paper was all of 30 pages long. This includes the classified sections as well as the sports section (which I consider uninteresting, so don't read).
Once in a great while one of the grands is in the sports section and then it is eminently readable. Otherwise, I can't get excited about it. Next, we will probably have to go to fewer days a week. I hope and pray that it doesn't totally go under. I need the local news as well as the small bit of what is happening outside our little world here. This is such a unique small city - the flavor of it is totally Christian, and people proclaim their belief loud and long. Visitors here can't believe we can 'get away with' this sort of thing. It just happens here. We are, after all, in the middle of the Bible belt.

I had an upper GI yesterday. No problem. I was able to watch some of it on the monitor (yeah!) but it became too uncomfortable and I signaled for more meds, so missed some of it, but I have photos! I've always said that if you scratch a speech pathologist, you find a frustrated doctor. I'm no exception. As a result of the test, we now know what the problem isn't. What it is--- well, we are still guessing.

Saxon brought his science project here for us to see. He opted to leave it with us and I am taking it to Denton for MB to photograph for us. Then maybe I can figure out how to put it on my blog - or hers. He proved his hypothesis- that horizontal blades on the windmills (sprouting up everywhere here in west Texas) are more effective than vertical ones, as well as being less of a danger to birds. It is wonderfully done and we are inordinately proud of him.

Another photo I'd like you to see (and you will when I find the camera. Notice I didn't say if) .
A local Presbyterian church has very narrow windows in the front, behind the altar, but instead of glass, the material used is local stone - mostly agate, some slate and others. I am definitely going there to see and photograph this wonderful sight. Also hope to get there some evening when a service is going on and I can see what it looks like with light from inside. Y'all come to see us and we will go to see it!

Symphony tonight. I wonder what they will do now. The theme this year is 'motion' and some unusual things have happened - from musicians dancing as they play to whatever is next. I'll let you know. Can you wait?

Blessings.

No comments: