Thursday, March 18, 2010

Long time, no blog...

Sorry about that.

Recent news, my former husband has just died. He had been very ill for quite some time, and this is the natural consequence of that. Our daughter Sarah and my grandson Marshall have gone to Jacksonville for the funeral. Sarah had just needed to have one of her beloved dogs put down, also, so this is really a hard time for her. Everybody hold her in your prayers, please. They will be home late Saturday night. Her two half brothers will stay with their mom for awhile, as is right and proper.

Mary Beth and I have just returned from Wildflower Spinners camp, at Lake Tyler in east Texas. We go every year and it just gets better and better. This year I returned with new toys, some fleece and many new skills. I am so pleased that Mary Beth is enjoying spinning. I gave her one of the wheels to live at her house. She is really quite good at this spinning. It took me much longer to learn. The food was typical of Earth Mother people (which is most spinners). A great deal of raw food and yogurt and tabbouleh and things for vegetarians and non vegetarians. And then, for some reason, after being super healthy, the desserts are sinfully delicious. Typical. Earth mothers do things their own way.

Many of these women raise their own sheep. goats and camelids ( llamas, guanacos, etc.) and we were given samples of all these fibers. We carded those that needed it and MB is going to spin and make a sampler scarf. Maybe. I hope. Next post I hope to have a photo of a huge room full of women with spinning wheels. It's a sight to see.

Dad has been ill, but seems to be getting better. With better weather, I think we all will feel more alive. The pecan trees in Denton are budding, which always means no more freezes. I have not found one here to check as yet, but a freeze is forecast for the weekend. Gotta go find that tree and check.

Nancy and co. are returning this weekend from their annual skiing vacation. The photos are great and I look forward to having the kids tell me all about it. I only got as far as water skiing - no snow in Florida. It seems to me that water skiing is safer. If you get in trouble, just let go the rope and you are safe in the water till the boat comes around for you. We learned to ski in the Gulf of Mexico and the best is jumping the waves and the wake from the boat.

I plan to start going to Mertzon once a week to tutor some of the kids in Nancy's class who are having reading problems. Then, I will stay and start teaching a Bible class, with the ultimate hope of either bringing people in to church, and/or starting a mission there.

Later......

No comments: