Monday, November 9, 2009

a really good day.....

Saturday, Nancy dropped off Saxon for a while so she could take the others to the mall (gag!). We had such a glorious time, that when she came to get him dressed for a wedding they were going to, I asked if he couldn't just stay. She asked him if he really wanted to go to the wedding and he had spent the morning telling us how much he didn't want to go. She let him stay the whole day and they drove off with Spencer shouting that he didn't want to go to the wedding either. It's his turn next. It was an eye opening day. First we played Up Words (for those not familiar, it is Scrabble with a third dimension variable ) And he Won! By a lot! One of his words, I just had to challenge - he went to the computer and found it. It is really Latin but is used contemporarily so much that I allowed it. Really humiliating to be the 'words person' gran and be so stomped. But it makes me proud too. He is a joy to be around. When I ask for help, he is up and ready to do whatever I ask. We cleaned out the jewelry chest so it can go and live in Mally's room. He was even impressed with some of the jewelry (costume, fer sure).
About this time, he found my magnifying glass and after receiving assurance that it was indeeed glass, and not plastic, he raced out ahd burned holes in many leaves. Not sure if he tackled the ant bed or not. I cautioned him as they are fire ants and they really mean business.
Then the Preppers lady came (pre packaged meals ready to cook, and frozen. He put some in the freezer and told me there was no more room for the rest. I showed him how to make room. There's always a way. He wanted to make a pumpkin pie but I was unprepared with piecrusts and eggnog. Both boys and I usually spend a lot of time in the fall making these and gobbling them down.
Grandaddy took him over to the club house and they played pool and a form of table shuffleboard. It seems that he slid a puck and it stopped and then, unexpectedly it moved some more. He wonders if this is magic. And the crowning event! He is now taller than I am! So I am looking up to these last grands.

Meanwhile, grandaughter Susan is having our first great grand. A girl, and I need to finish this baby blanket. We are pretty excited, though we won't see her much as they live in New York. Pictures are always good, though and if they come to Houston, we will try to go over and see them.
At the family reunion before last I was able to hold twin great, great niece/nephews. Amazing to see the generations come along behind us.

Next, one of the other grands will come for a day and I will tell you all the exciting things we do. These days are really high points for us.

No comments: