Thursday, May 1, 2008

food and other things...

Today I am doing the liquid diet thingy. Have to make a quick grocery run as all my jello is red or variations thereof. Need that jello. the best part is that I am allowed to have coffee and tea with no cream or milk. The worst part is - well, you know the worst part, I expect. Test is at 9AM in the morning so it will soon be over.

For you who asked for the wonderful pork recipe, here 'tis. It was originally called pork chops with cherry sauce, and still is, I just changed it a bit. First out in Real Simple, May of this year. As an added rant, Real Simple is no longer real simple - it is getting real complicated. I don't appreciate this change, and think they aspire to be Martha Stewart, Junior. When I want simple, I mean really, really simple. They will be losing me as soon as the subscription runs out.

Pork chops with cherry sauce.

I did not have chops, but a very small roast (under 1 lb), so if you have chops, you'll want to cut them into small pieces. I sliced the roast diagonally, about 1/2" slices.

I also did not have 2 shallots, so used a little shaved onion and lots of the garlic grass I keep growing in the pot in the front garden.

Take the shallots or onions or garlic grass or whatever and saute it in 1 tbsp olive oil, about 3 minutes.

Now, the recipe calls for a pound of fresh, pitted cherries. I found canned Oregon brand red tart cherries packed in water so used a can of those, well drained. They go in next, along with 1/2 cup chicken broth (I used 1/2 cup water and a boullion cube) along with (they want 2 tbsp orange marmalade, I used strawberry ), then 1 tbsp vinegar (they wanted special vinegar, I used plain white) and shake in some red pepper.

Now, get another pan and use a couple tbsp olive oil and brown the small bits of meat you have ready. Add them to the other pan. Sort of simmer with a bit of salt and pepper for about 5 minutes over low heat.

I hope this all makes sense. I also cooked a pot of rice and added cooked, shelled emamame beans, and it was all good!.

Now, the powers that be have discovered that the little boys from the FLDS ranch have had multiple bone breaks. Either they have been abused or this is a result of brittle bones from inbreeding. Bah. People should have to take courses and get a license to have children.

Our lovely minister will be gone for three weeks. I know he gets a vacation, but I hate to see him go. He hs promised to come back, though. He found a good translation of the Bible on tape and I am going to start with the NT and try that, instead of Harry Potter, to go to sleep. Maybe the Bible will keep me awake! Interesting to see what happens.

Here is the prayer we use at the close of our service, weekly:

Lord Jesus, I am willing:
To receive what You give,
To lack what you withhold,
To relinquish what You take,
To suffer what You inflict,
To be what you require.
And, Lord, if others are to be
Your messengers to me,
I am willing
To hear and heed
What they have to say.
Amen.

No comments: