Saturday, February 9, 2008

Something new

Which book do you irrationally cringe away from reading, despite seeing only positive reviews?
Dean Koontz. Dean Koontz and Patricia Cornwell. Torture and terror I do absolutely not need.!

If you could bring three characters to life for a social event (afternoon tea, a night of clubbing, perhaps a world cruise), who would they be and what would the event be?

I think we would have an all day picnic,by the beach with all sorts of good things to eat and drink and munchies OTA. My guests would be Madeleine L'Engel, Tom Tallis and Professor Dumbledore, and would just wander from subject to subject as we felt. I'm ready right now!


(Borrowing shamelessly from the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde): you are told you can't die until you read the most boring novel on the planet. While this immortality is great for awhile, eventually you realise it's past time to die. Which book would you expect to get you a nice grave? The Hunchback of Notre Dame. I have not read it and have a most peculiar aversion to even giving it house room. Unreasonable, yes. but what am I going to do?


As an addition to the last question, has there been a book that you really thought you had read, only to realise when you read a review about it/go to 'reread' it that you haven't? Which book?
I can't remember this ever happening to me.

You've been appointed Book Advisor to a VIP (who's not a big reader). What's the first book you'd recommend and why? (if you feel like you'd have to know the person, go ahead of personalise the VIP)
The Chronicles of Narnia as well as the Treehouse books. Narnia because these books are as nearly perfect as I can imagine and Treehouse because they fascinate children and encourage them to read. A good goal.

A good fairy comes and grants you one wish: you will have perfect reading comprehension in the foreign language of your choice. Which language do you go with? No contest: Spanish. I have always wanted to be fluent in French, even spent my lab sessions in language classes in college (for Spanish) listening to the French lesson. No comprehension, you see, just a language washing over me. But, living where I do, Spanish is becoming a necessity. We continue to consider a special course in this.

A mischievious fairy comes and says that you must choose one book that you will reread once a year for the rest of your life (you can read other books as well). Which book would you pick?Walking on Water, a reflection on faith and art by Madeleine L'Engle

I know that the book blogging community, and its various challenges, have pushed my reading borders. What's one bookish thing you 'discovered' from book blogging (maybe a new genre, or author, or new appreciation for cover art-anything)?

I haven't been book blogging, but look forward to this.

That good fairy is back for one final visit. Now, she's granting you your dream library! Describe it. Is everything leatherbound? Is it full of first edition hardcovers? Pristine trade paperbacks? Perhaps a few favourite authors have inscribed their works? Go ahead-let your imagination run free.

I'd love a library with the rolling ladder along the shelves...to easily get to those less-accessed items without dragging out the stepladder. Also want several big squshy chairs for sitting and a couple of recliners. Books to the ceiling, but not the floor. Too hard to reach. A good combination of well made hardbacks and some paperbacks also for reading on days when it is hard to hold up a big, heavy book. Books sorted by area not by author or title or all that. For instance, all the religion books in one place, ditto for fantasy and sci fi, also mysteries, etc.
I need quiet unless I want soft music. No phone, please. No one is to bother me.

No comments: