Tuesday, December 9, 2008

It tried to snow

today, but only a few flakes fell. I was hoping for a heavy fall of the stuff.

Last Sunday was the 7th of December. This was my mother's birthday and of course Pearl Harbor day. I remember it well. I was 10 years old- we had always lived in Tallahassee (Fla). I knew there were rumblings of a sort as my father had been called from the reserves into active service just after school started that fall. Because no one knew if the callback would last we stayed in our home and he went to Camp Lee, Va. I remember being stunned on PH day - in my childish insularity I never dreamed anyone would want to hurt my country. We went to the movies every Saturday and always had a newsreel, so soon the pictures of the attack were everywhere. I've made it for the rest of that war, Korea, Vietnam, the cold war, etc., etc. We're still here and we're still a great country. Polarized, yes, but I do think help is on the way. I pray there will be no more wars for me to see or for our country to endure. Amen and amen.

1 comment:

Mary Beth said...

Help on the way indeed!

I was so shocked when the Gulf War started because our country had never been at war in my memory (I don't remember Vietnam). How could this happen in MY country? I thought!

Of course I was in grad school then! :)