Friday, September 12, 2008

Friday Five

It's time for a Back-To-School Friday Five!

1. Is anyone going back to school, as a student or teacher, at your house? How's it going so far?
I live in a town with a nice little University, but my heart is in a rural community 22 miles west where my three youngest grands are going back to school. They are well involved except for my granddaughter who has a newly (mostly) broken arm and is still on low doses of hydrocodone for pain. Sometimes she naps under her mom's desk. (Mom is a teacher)

2. Were you glad or sad when back-to-school time came as a kid?
Absolutely elated!. I loved school and would still be there if someone had wanted to volunteer to pay the bills for me to do this. I think this is why I did the MA program and was well on the way to PhD when I met and married my Texan - went off and left it hanging. Turns out it was a God thing.

3. Did your family of origin have any rituals to mark this time of year? How about now?
the only ritual we had was a new dress for the first day of school. Oh and the school supplies! Wonderful. An office supply store is sort of a part of heaven for me. All that lovely stuff!

4. Favorite memories of back-to-school outfits, lunchboxes, etc?
Mom made all our clothes. I remember having the grand total of 4 outfits. This caused much concern as to which I should choose to wear twice in a week. Hard for me to imagine from where I am now that I was even concerned with this.

5. What was your best year of school?
They were mostly all good, but I expect I have to choose senior year. By that time the school gave me an amazing amount of freedom. I could take the Journalism teacher's car and run up to the local newspaper to move print around and work on the school paper. (I was editor) I not only took her car but was allowed to sign her name. She even let me drive a bunch of students to Miami for a newspaper symposium, and nobody even asked to see my driver's license. Just as well - I didn't have one. I don't think it mattered so much back then. At any rate, God was keeping tabs on us all and we all made it home with no mishaps. I loved singing in the chorale,loved debating, newspaper, etc, etc. It was a very good year.

All good times, in retrospect.

04:24 AM in Friday Fives | Permalink | Comments (4) | TrackBack (0)

No comments: