Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Humble?

For about three days now, the quote from Micah has been rolling around in my head - "What does the Lord require of you? To do justly, to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." I have pondered this, and I think the first two are reasonably recognizable. To do justly, is a repeat of our childhood belief that things just should be fair. A mark of growing up is to recognize that things aren't always fair. But you and I can be and will be fair. Because God said so.
And then mercy. Who doesn't love mercy? Please, Lord, give me mercy instead of justice. And He will do that if we ask.

But humbly? What is humble? At first sight it seems to mean meek and this is so not me. So I hauled out my trusty commentary and according to them, humility means not personal piety in any narrow sense, but obedience to whatever God requires or commands. This includes, though is not limited to worthy worship. So, humility is something I have to pray about. Worship is wonderful these days, but God asks a lot of us and I have to try to remember that I am walking side by side with Him. Come to think, if He is there, I won't have any trouble remembering. I still have to think about this. Me and my mental muddles.

Also, I have to tell you that I have just realized that I am the Queen of Happily Ever After. I really am living that way. It's downright exciting to realize I am being given this. Life as a retiree is a joy. I wish it all for all of you one of these days.

More musing later, children, and blessings to you all.

No comments: